Tuesday, September 30, 2008

First day of Syawal in Jakarta

It is 11:15am and I have just finished a leisurely breakfast. Sheryl Crow is playing on our hi-fi and Dear Hubby is washing up the dirty dishes from last night's dinner and this morning's breakfast. Thank you, my Monkey.


********************************

There was an absolute racket last night on the final night of Ramadhan. The mosques around us were broadcasting prayers all night through, punctuated with bursts of fireworks from the local residents. At midnight, there came this tremendous explosion of fireworks and one final prayer before silence finally fell. I thought it was very interesting because I've never experienced anything like this back home in Muslim-majority Malaysia even though I lived 5 min away from a mosque.


********************************

Going to try baking a carrot cake later today. A friend gave me a recipe and it looked so simple even a dimwit cook like me can follow it.

Last night, I made pork tenderloin with sticky lime glaze and served it with a crisp salad for dinner. Dear Hubby loved it and gobbled up everything. I'm delighted that I'm getting better at this cooking thing. We spent the rest of the evening watching V for Vendetta, an excellent film we've enjoyed twice before. The Orwellian theme in the film seems to fit today's political situation very neatly.


********************************

Pool time later. Very therapeutic for me to sit in the water and just relax without the weight of the baby. I went in yesterday afternoon and it was funny to see the ripples in the pool each time the baby kicked in my tummy.

2 comments:

  1. I always planned to go swimming when I was pregnant but got so lazy. Towards the end, I was so huge and tired all the time, I didn't want to buy a pregnant bathing suit just so I could wear it once! :op

    That must be so cool to see the water ripples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. figur8: I guess that's the best part about having our own little pool - it doesn't matter if you're wearing a bathing suit or not! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete