Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Mummy Brains Syndrome

Since I've become pregnant, I've discovered my IQ is rapidly sliding towards the zero end. In fact, I'm quite sure it's gone past zero by now. I take a long time to process simple instructions like "Don't mix up peanut butter and jam on my bread." If I go grocery shopping, I must take a list with me or I'll be standing in the supermarket aisle thinking, "Now what else do I need?" Fellow mummies and mummies2b have told me I'm not alone, most of them have found their previously Nobel Prize-level brains going as well.
This phenomenon is fairly common and you can read more about it here if you like. Having said that, when Dear Hubby misplaces his socks/keys/passport/wallet, he still yells for me, "Babe... have you seen my (insert name of missing item)?" and 9 times out of 10, I am able to remember where it was last seen. I'm still the one who keeps track of when to pay what bills and I was the one who organised all the paperwork for the baby's citizenship and passport applications. The article says it's mostly short-term memory that's affected, maybe that's why I can still function well enough on other levels.

Dear Hubby said one day, "Well... if your brain cells are going to the baby, at least we'll have a smart kid and maybe he can win a scholarship to University and we won't have to worry so much about finances for his education." There was a pause before it suddenly struck him, "It's either that... or we'll have the smartest placenta in the world! Oh no!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment