Monday, January 19, 2009

Congratulations, President Barack Obama!

I'm not one for political news but this one struck a chord in me. Hey, I always thought the first black American president would be either Morgan Freeman or James Earl Jones. I remember Nov 5 all too well. I was stuck inside Pondok Indah Hospital, getting tests done and knowing it could be my last day before I joined the Mommy Club. I spent most of the day in my hospital room, watching Obama acknowledge the thousands in Chicago who'd turned out to cheer their next president. I hope he knew that kids from his old school in Menteng were cheering on their old boy too at the very same moment.

I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime. And being a resident of Jakarta, I felt a little puff of pride that this city was once his home. I believe his old house here in Jakarta has been bought by a pub owner who wants to name it the "Sweet Home Obama" bar. Cute eh!

The next day, my son was born and I hope I'd brought him into a world that has changed for the better. Congratulations, President Obama. Yes, we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment