Friday, July 24, 2009

Happy birthday cousin S!

It's cousin S's birthday today and he is 18. Wow. I still remember holding him in my arms when he was just a week old. It's kinda funny to think that he's now in his first year in Uni.

Until my son arrived on the scene, Cousin S was, to me, the cutest little boy ever. I still remember the funny things he did. Like when he spelled his name out for us. My uncle got him started on computers early and he learnt lots of stuff from his educational CDs. Once we asked him if he could spell his name. He said confidently, "Yes I can! L-I-M spacebar... J-E-E spacebar... S-I-N-G.. enter*!" Boy. We nearly died of laughter then.
*name changed to protect the innocent

Then there was that time when he was going through his ABCs with me. I would point at the letter and the picture and he would tell me, "A for apple!" etc. It went fine till we got to the letter O. He paused for a while, then turned to me and said, "O for mosque!" You see... the picture was of an onion.. and his home then happened to be right opposite the neighbourhood mosque, so he was very familiar with the onion-shaped dome.

A long time ago, we would ask him, "Are you a boy or a girl?" He would answer, "Boy!" "How do you know?" we teased. His confident reply was "I'm a boy because I look like Daddy. And one day, I will grow up to be a man like Daddy... and have armpit hair like Daddy!"

Well, he's all grown up now. He does look like his Daddy. Not sure about the armpit hair bit. Don't think I ever want to know that.


Happy birthday, little cousin.

No comments:

Post a Comment