Friday, September 3, 2010

Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri

It is almost Hari Raya Aidilfitri and my thoughts turn towards Jakarta.

Why? Because my last 2 Hari Rayas were spent there and I still remember the images of Lebaran (as they call it there). I am thinking of all those Indonesians who are gearing up for the mudik back home. Maybe they have already started their journey. I remember reading about people who had no seats on the trains so they just stood all the way home. Or squatted down somewhere in the carriage when there was space or I guess they were tired.

I wish I could find that image I saw in my local Jakarta Globe last year of a man wearily waiting for the bus to start. I'd never imagined boarding a bus hours before it starts so that you can secure a seat for the journey home.

I am thinking of my old driver and helper in Jakarta. I wonder what they are doing and if they are on their way back to their kampung to celebrate this grand festival with their families.

To them and to all my Muslim friends here and around the world, I would like to wish you all a Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri in advance - may you have a safe and joyous celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment