Monday, January 31, 2011

Connor's first work of art



Connor brought this home on 21 Jan. That day's theme was Buses so I packed his Wheels on a Bus book into his schoolbag. When I picked him up from playschool, the teacher handed me this and I was just absolutely delighted.

In case you can't tell, it's a bus. Mummy was absolutely bursting with pride. "Look! It's Connor's first art!" It's just the most beautiful blue bus in the world to me because my little boy made it. If our apartment was going up in flames and I had to choose between saving the Picasso and Connor's bus, I'll pick the bus. (Besides the Picasso would have been insured but I don't think AIA will insure Connor's bus... no?)

The bus art now resides on our fridge door, right smack in the middle at eye level so you can't miss it. It's getting quite crowded on our fridge door with all the magnets we collected from our travels, his ABC magnets, some magnetic picture frames and now his artwork.

I can see I'm going to be the kind of mother who collects each and every one of her child's art pieces that he brings home from kindy.

When I was in my teens, I remember helping my mother clear out some junk and was surprised she'd kept the books from my kindergarten days. "Apple" said the scrawl in my 6yo handwriting. "Why are you keeping this? It's just taking up space and collecting dust!" I'd said then.

I know why now.

2 comments: