Sunday, January 8, 2012

The sweetest thing

My in-laws were married one lovely Boxing Day many, many years ago.  We were at home with them in Liverpool for their anniversary just this past December and I'd gotten Manjarina Art to custom make a card for their special day.

My father-in-law has vascular dementia and his memory has been failing him more and more lately.  Sure that he would not remember to get Mum a card, my husband had nipped out to the shops and had gotten a card on Dad's behalf and then had gotten him to sign it.

On Boxing Day, we were up early with Mum and wished her a Happy Anniversary.  She was happy to see cards from us but I could see it wasn't really what she wanted.  She wanted Dad to remember the day and to wish her.  But knowing his dementia, she knew he would most likely forget and kept saying "I'm sure he'll forget, he can't remember because of his dementia."  Saying it so that if he did, she wouldn't be as disappointed.

Then Dad woke up, dressed and came down.  When he walked into the living room, Dear Hubby quickly asked before Mum could say anything. "Father.  Do you know what day this is?"   There was a pause as the whole room held its breath and hoped and hoped.

Slowly, Dad said "It's Boxing Day.  I know what day it is.  It's our anniversary."

Oh, the smile on my mother-in-law's face and in her eyes!

He turned around, said "Happy Anniversary, my love."

Then he walked over to where she sat.  He bent over, trembling a little from age.  She held her arms out to him and he gave her a kiss and they both smiled at each other.

It was the sweetest thing I'd ever seen.

Happy Anniversary, Mum and Dad.






3 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog via expat blogs. So excited to read about life in Kuala Lumpur, one of my favorite cities. Leaving Switzerland for 2 weeks vacation in Kuala Lumpur, our 4th visit but 1st with our baby. Happy New Year! towe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Towe, Happy New Year to you and your family too! Hope you'll enjoy your holiday here in KL this time and thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh I was led here when I googgled Manjarina Art! Thanks for the awesome credit. Such a touching story ... loving older folks always makes me tingly and teary eyed :)

    ReplyDelete