Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Ramblings: Printers


When I got my first printer, it was a noisy clunky dot matrix printer.  Remember them?  Mine followed me all the way to university where I remembered hearing the clatter of half a dozen printers almost everyday as students printed out their assignments.  I used mine mainly for printing out guitar tabs, which I would study far more religiously than I did my lecture notes and books.

Remember the excitement we all felt when the first colour printer appeared?  I used mine to print out a colourful sign that said “Quiet please.  Genius at work.”  I hung the sign above my study desk in the house I shared with 4 other university students.  However, I was rarely seen at the desk.  I was usually found at some mamak stall talking about world affairs or on the couch practising Hotel California on my guitar.

Remember how much it cost to replace the cartridges?  It used to cost a bomb.  Now you’ve got sites where you can buy stuff like the Dell 2330 Toner at a good price.   You’ve got places in Low Yat where you can buy refills at a fraction of what I used to pay.

As for the printers themselves, they’ve gotten a lot smarter and a lot cheaper too.  You know what I wish?  I wish they were this good and this cheap when I was a student and printing out reams of guitar tabs and “Genius at work” signs!




1 comment:

  1. Our print stucks some times. Got to get some new ink soon.

    ReplyDelete