Monday, January 21, 2013

Ramblings: Driving test


Hi everyone, sorry for the long silence but a lot had been happening in real life.

For starters, we’ve upped and moved away from Kuala Lumpur to Aberdeen, UK!  While packing up our possessions proved easy, getting my UK residence visa was another matter all together but more about the visa in another post.

I am now sitting in our rented apartment here in Aberdeen, the skies are gloomy, there’s a very cold wind blowing about outside but I’m nice and snug here.  I’m also looking at guides on passing the UK driving license test.  I hold a valid Malaysian license and have about 11 years of experience dodging Kancils and Honda kapchais on potholed Malaysian roads so I’m heartbroken the UK authorities don’t believe in my hard-earned skill and insist I have to take a theory and practical test again.  My Malaysian license is good for a year, after which I can only drive on a provisional license.

The annoying thing about the UK system is I can’t take a practice driving test at www.dmvcheatsheets.com  as that is a US site.   The good thing about a UK driving license is that once I get it, I’m set for life!  Woohoo!

So wish me luck… I need to get this bit of paperwork sorted out and then I’m *really* set for life in the UK.

9 comments:

  1. Lol. I had to go thru the same thing here in AU. But as you said, once you have a UK license, driving anywhere internationally is a piece of cake. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Mirebella! Wish I didn't have to.. but oh well...

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the driving test and all the best for life in UK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you'll pass at 1st attempt, as i did, (ahem!) as long as you leave your bad m'sian habits behind, eg. changing lanes without indicator, honking indiscriminately & yes, speeding, esp in residential areas.

    those days, the lessons are GBP12.50 each. how much is it now?

    KH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohh... terror! I don't know if I'll pass at first go. There's this thing called parallel parking that I must conquer first.... Sigh.

      I don't know. Haven't signed up for lessons yet but doubt if they'll be under £20!

      Delete
  4. That part of moving to a different country with an entirely different culture is really a bummer. But we can’t resist the authority. >.< Anyway, passing the UK driving test is surely worth all the troubles if you wouldn’t have to go all through it again next time you stay abroad. How are you preparing, or have you taken the tests already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a hassle and I do wish I could just exchange my Malaysian license for a UK one. But rules are rules. Just preparing for it now, wish me luck!

      Delete