Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dear Hubby's Annual Company Dinner: Oh what a night!

It was Dear Hubby's annual company do a couple of nights ago. The theme was Retro and Dear Hubby had a sudden flash of inspiration when he suggested we go as John Lennon and Yoko Ono. Him the native Scouser and me the little Asian girl. Why not!



We went costume-hunting one afternoon and went to a place a friend suggested. It's called Absolute Pitch. It's quite easy to find. They have quite a lot of costumes for rent and the rates depend on the type of costumes. The more expensive ones are imported and they had this really cool Stormtrooper costume. I'd always wanted to be a stormtrooper!



Unfortunately we couldn't find me a Yoko wig. Out of curiousity, I asked to try 2 other wigs. One was a short bob which made me look EXTREMELY Chinese, like the owner of a dim sum restaurant in a bad American film about Chinese immigrants. The other was an afro wig which I absolutely rocked partly because of my skin colouring. Dear Hubby found a wig and when he put it on and put on Lennon's trademark blue round glasses, he looked so much like the real thing I couldn't stop laughing. That was it - he would stay as John Lennon while I would go as a 'fro-ed disco dancer type.



We finally found the hotel after a "detour". We walked through a wedding reception to get to our do and drew lots of stares because we were in full get-up. It was the hair that got everyone's attention because we were actually wearing our own clothes as we couldn't find appropriate costumes. I kept saying as we squeezed our way past elegantly dressed guests, "We're not here for the wedding, we're not here for the wedding..."



When we arrived, we were greeted with shrieks of laughter when the staff recognised Dear Hubby. G told us later that one dazed staff asked, "Who's that man with the long hair who just walked in? He's quite sexy looking!" I have to say a lot of people were very sporting and went to a lot of trouble to get the right costume. Plenty were sporting afros and bell bottoms.



It was quite a hoot when we saw friends in costumes. It was almost impossible to recognise the men who are mostly clean-shaven in real life. It was such a shock to see them all sporting LOTS of hair. E who is a sober, clean-cut Scotman in real life looked like some hippy, weed-smoking leader of a Scientology group. M looked like a regular guest star on Starsky & Hutch while my own Dear Hubby looked like more like Ozzy Osbourne than John Lennon as the night wore on.



Some limbo rock, a dance contest and plenty of good food later, we went home happy. It was a good party. We enjoyed ourselves and I'm really impressed with the work put in by the organising committee.



To them and to the folks at the office who were such sports... grooooooooooovy baby!




Me in my "costume". I actually own everything I wear in this shot except for the Afro wig. Was telling people at the party if I actually won Best Costume, I'd jump off a high bridge in shame.

3 comments: